I've made a list of the songs I heard that caught my attention (I've heard about 500 of 1500 total), not counting those I already knew. I've included a few words for each to indicate what I like about it.
First, a collection of more accessible songs...
- Mon Frere Y.M.M.W.D.S.B. (2006) great & big chorus
- Wombats Let's Dance To Joy Division (2007) nice guitar, great chorus
- Rubicks Midas (2007) great pre-chorus, arrangement
- Dead Disco Automatic (2006) good riff, great chorus payoff
- Los Campesinos! Death to Los Campesinos! (2008) great energy
- Bastard Fairies We're All Going To Hell (explicit lyrics) (2007) production, lyrics/music contrast
- Jem They (2004) production, voice, melody
- Babes in Toyland Mater Dolorosa (explicit lyrics) (1998) rhythmic shifts, screaming
- Mono Silicone (1997) trip-hop
- Pretty Balanced Euros and Pounds (click "free mp3" to hear whole song) (2007) in 5
- Pretty Girls Make Graves All Medicated Geniuses (2003) chorus energy, guitar variations
- Skeletal Family She Cries Alone (1985) mood, guitar melody
- Vervein Lustig (preview) (2003) dueling guitars, mood
- Los Campesinos! This Is How You Spell, "HAHAHA, We've Destroyed the Hopes and Dreams of a Generation of Faux-Romantics" (2008) "like a final, fatal livejournal entry"
95% of these have female vocals.