You know how it works. First 25 tracks on shuffle play, favorite lyric from each, presented here for you to guess. (I skipped album repeats, but not performer repeats. Yes, there were album repeats. Thank you, birthday paradox.)
Note that you need to get musician & song title for credit. However, if it's an instrumental from an album of instrumentals, I'll accept the name of the album.
Update: Of the unclaimed songs, the ones you are most likely to know are: 11, 18
Of the unclaimed songs, the artists in their degree of mainstreaminess: 11, 18, 3, 1, 20
Song #1 is another song by an artist who's already been correctly guessed elsewhere on the list.
1. They question how the future lies in someone's eyes
2. Your fair-weather friends call two by two to let you know what's wrong with you
3. You ride around in your cadmium car, you keep wishing upon a star
A. [swelling synthesizers that sound sort of like a modern Fairlight CMI; soft atmospheric mono synth lead, a few guitars, steady percussion until outro]
6. Bring out the gin and the small violions: I'm a raging success as a failure [dfan has guessed the artist but not the song, although that may be all I'll get]
7. And he killed every beast and taught the seas how to bleed
10. So hurry up and materialize
11. If I could, I'd slow the whole world down — I'd bring it to its knees, I'd stop it spinning round
12. There's no cute story that we tell together, laughing and finishing each other's sentences so charmingly
C. [waltz-time instrumental with lots of violins and muted drums]
14. Blue is a state of mind, blue makes you colorblind
15. And with bees in her breath and the rest of her ringing, they'll sting through her chest with a force hard and beating
16. Buy or sell or buy, buy or sell or buy
18. I want to wine and dine you; oh, I want to twist and twist and shout
20. I walk around in my empty office block
D. [piano, plucked strings, multitracked high females voices]
24. Peut-être au fin de siècle vous m'aimerez
25. Go nuclear the cowboy told us
3. Internet lyrics sites say "cadium car".
6. Many good images, hard to pick just one, but this line is particularly revealing
7. Every line is clumsy and preachy and not a favorite, but I had to pick something
8. Those double-"just"s seem clumsy now that I write it out
9. How could I pick any other line?
16. Internet lyrics sites say "bye or sell or bye"
17. Limited options
19. Note that all of my mp3s come from ripping entire CDs. Infer as you will.
24. The actual liner note lyrics say: "Peut-être à la fin du siècle vous m'aimerez", but this seems to be closer to what she sings; I'm not sure which is more grammatical, as my five years of high school french have long ago faded
Songs from albums that repeated: 3, B, 12. Damn you, iPod.